Friday, September 26, 2008

The Much Anticipated Sequel to Plants

So, I"m finally getting around to filling you in on the fate of my plants. The problem was that I would take pictures, but by the time I got them on my computer they were old and I felt like I had to take new pictures. Below I have some compilation pictures of my tomato plants, which are the biggest thing I got growing.



Here you can see the progression over time of my Roma tomato plant. I have had two tomatoes come to fruition. They weren't the tastiest or biggest tomatoes ever, but they were my totally indoor tomato experiment.






This is a progression of my beefsteak tomato plant. So far, it has only had one flower, but it keeps on getting TALLER. I'll have to put it outside soon, because it is almost touching the ceiling.



BasilCatnipMorning Glory

Here are a few of my other plants. These aren't the newest pictures, but they are clearer than the newer ones and are fairly representative. All my original plants are still alive. The catnip survived mostly due to complete disinterest by the cats. I broke off a branch one day and left it on the floor and they literally acted frightened of it. The plant that faired the worst was the Morning Glory, which I put outside. This brings me to my biggest plant realization, I am much better with indoor plants than outdoor plants. Witness the below Sunflower. We started it from seeds after my first plant post.

Sunflower

So, you can see, the first plant to die had not even been born when I asked my question. Trippy, eh?

7 comments:

Christy said...

You gardening goddess you. My indoor plants are the only ones to ever survive either... it's because they look at me and say "I'm thirsty."

Anonymous said...

They look very impressive.

I wonder...are Tomatos pollinated? If only one flower bloomed then that theory is shot but it might be hard for birds and bees to get inside of the house :)

KB(T) said...

That's what happened when I tried to grow sunflowers! I hate it when people say something is "easy to grow" and then it up and dies or won't stop looking puny.

And yes, tomatoes must be pollinated. I am impressed that you got two Roma tomatoes indoors!

Julie of the Wisdom People said...

Tomatoes are self pollinating in the sense that every flower has both the masculine and feminine parts. Bees landing on the flowers help the tomatoes to be pollinated by vibrating, shaking the pollen loose. I read up on it and got a electric toothbrush, which I used to shake the flowers and loosen the pollen. I do have about 5 more green tomatoes growing, which I think will ripen up okay. The fact that the two so far are so tiny, though, makes me think that they were not fully pollinated. I don't really know how long I'm supposed to stand their pretending to be a bee. I guess I didn't do it long enough for the beefsteak tomato. Either that or it takes a really long time to go from wilty flower to small tomato bump.

KB(T) said...

I used a battery-powered toothbrush on my tomatoes, too! The flowers were turning brown and dropping off. I think they were just feeling dramatic about the heat, for which I cannot blame them.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but the idea of using an electric toothbrush on your plants tickles the heck out of me. :)

Your sunflower is so sad. :(

I love Morning Glorys. They remind of my childhood. Momma used to keep a small garden outside of our apartment and there were always "Heavenly Blue" Morning Glorys growing up over the dining room window. We even had a peach tree from a pit I'd just carelessly tossed over - but the poopy maintenance people cut it down.

little.monkey said...

Your plants are unbelievable. I stink at raising plants. Your toothbrushing action is hilarious. It seemed funny when you said that you had to stand there and pretend to be a bee. Excellent.