Friday, April 1, 2011

Fish Milk

So, apparently blogs are passe now. I mean for regular people, because news and weird pictures of things on blogs are still going strong. But regular people don't seem to be posting on their blogs. Now, you just post your thoughts on Facebook, or rant on Youtube. But, I'm a classic kinda gal, so I like to write a post once a year or so.

So, I'm just coming off of The UltraMind Solution, which I know sounds like a cult, but is actually not. Basically, you cut out caffeine, alcohol, dairy, gluten, and sugar. You eat more vegetables and you try to keep your blood sugar even throughout the day. At the end of 6 weeks, you reintroduce dairy and gluten and see if you have any issues.

I quickly lost about 10 pounds, then stabilized. I felt pretty good, like my memory was better, my head was clearer, and I felt happier.  I waited until I was almost done with the 6 weeks before I read about how to reintroduce food. It said to have the food (dairy or gluten) 3 times a day for 3 days.

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, so I haven't had milk in years. I had read that people with IBS could handle hard rind cheeses, so I had been eating cheddar cheese, etc. and avoiding milk, ice cream, sour cream and other such monstrosities. As I thought about reintroducing dairy, I knew I couldn't have cheese 3 times a day. Part of me thought that I was just being a hypochondriac by not having milk all these years. So, I went out on a limb. Unfortunately, I bought Omega enriched milk, which, unlike Omega eggs, doesn't involve feeding the cow flax seed. Apparently, it is milk with added fish oil. I used to eat fish once in awhile and had been contemplating taking fish oil, anyway, so I forged ahead. I had a small amount on my cereal. It didn't taste fishy at all. I felt okay. And then I felt not okay. Very not okay. I could blame it on the fish, but I'm sure I get that much fish particles just eating out. Milk is not my friend.

So, back to the UltraMind I went, waiting to feel good again before I tried anything else. Last night I had gluten for the first time. So far, I don't feel like a monster is eating me from the inside out, so that's good. If I handle gluten okay, I'm going to try for hard rind cheeses.

In other news, I got into grad school. I'll be going to UGA for Speech Language Pathology. So excited! I'm really interested in it, and it just feels like a good fit for me. Hooray!

4 comments:

little.monkey said...

That's awesome that you felt so much better after cutting out all that junk. That stinks that milk is not your friend. At least you know for sure though. Yay to school! I am so happy for you. Also, I really enjoy reading blogs still. You are right that no one seems to do them anymore, but I still look (pretty frequently) to see if anyone has written one. So, good job lady.

Jen said...

I just posted one, I knew it had been a long time but when I looked at the date of the last one I was shocked. Almost 4 months! And I'm with you, I prefer to air the majority of my weird ideas and experiences on my blog, where only a select few can see how twisted I really am.
I try to eat flaxseed and nuts high in omega3, but I've avoided the fish oil. I've heard it can make you smell like rotten crotch. Also, I tried to give it to my dog to help his skin, and it gave him the oily plops.
Congrats on going back to school and good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting into Grad School! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting in to grad school! I hope you can figure out the food stuff! It makes all the difference in the world. :)l
I'm getting back to the blog.